[lbo-talk] Cheney speaks!

John Adams jadams01 at sprynet.com
Thu Feb 16 05:50:05 PST 2006

On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:35 AM, Thomas Seay wrote:

> Would someone explain to me why this is a big deal?
> People get excited when hunting and, if they are not
> careful, they do something stupid like Cheney did
> here.
> Yes, he has apparently been trying to avoid coverage
> of it, but I dont see that this has any real political
> ramifications. Am I wrong?

He's getting a chance to look both foolish and craven in front of an audience that's a small but important part of the Republican base, and doing it on their terms. While the gun nuts of the world are out suggesting ways he could've gotten a cleaner kill, the hunters are shaking their heads and wondering whether they'd be willing to go out in the woods with him.

It's a magnificent tactical error, which the Democratic Party is congenitally unable to exploit.