[lbo-talk] How flame wars start [was: How it works in Santa Cruz]

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 06:57:38 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>
>> Carrol Cox wrote:
>>> This all comes from a naive, even childish, view of the glories of
>>> bourgeois democracy. Grow up and recognize that all these crimes are a
>>> result of the ordinary working of bourgeois democracy at its best. The
>>> method under fascism is quite different.
>>>
>>> You are in effect spreading propaganda for capitalism and for the DP.
>>>

>> It's called ad hominem... And you are trolling.
>
> Carrol's many things, but he's not a troll. And I'm sure he'll set you
> straight on what "ad hominem" means.

Example of Ad Hominem

1. Bill: "I believe that abortion is morally wrong."

Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a priest."

Bill: "What about the arguments I gave to support my position?"

Caroll can say anything he likes about ad homs. It indicates a personal attack with no argument included representing a position on the subject..

That is what his post consisted of... exclusively!

...and by definition, it's trolling. ...deliberately provoking arguments on newsgroups or bulletin boards,

Further... Fascism: The name comes from the Latin fasces – a bundle of rods with a projecting axe, which was the symbol of authority in ancient Rome. The term was applied by Mussolini to his movement after his rise to power in 1922. The Fascists were viciously anti-Communist and anti- liberal and, once in power, relied on an authoritarian state apparatus. They also used emotive slogans and old prejudices (FOR EXAMPLE (emphasis mine), against the Jews) to bolster the leader's strongman appeal.

Structurally, it's a fit.

I'll stick with the common definitions of these words and terms... thanks.

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/