[lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu Feb 16 08:06:13 PST 2006

> they could actually make a case for why the estate tax is a
> good thing, and maybe should be higher, say, confiscatory.

Oh yeah, that's a great idea. There are a significant number of people who get hit by this tax who are "one-time-rich" -- they sell their house after 40 years, or they die with no estate planning. The 'normal' rich aren't subject to this kind of thing, because if you're rich for a long time, you figure out (and hire professionals to help you) how not to just be a tax victim.

I've wondered why they push so hard to get rid of the tax, given that it's such a small amount of revenue. But maybe that's the best reason of all.

> Let's have a public debate about whether the children of the rich
> should be automatically rich or whether they should have to get a
> job.

That's an interesting debate topic, but unfortunately it has very little to do with the issues surrounding the inheritance tax.

> But that's against most politicians' personal interests, so we'll
> never find out if it's against their political interests.

I think a lot of political work was done on this; here's a useful summary:

http://www.house.gov/jec/fiscal/tx-grwth/estattax/estattax.htm

/jordan