[lbo-talk] Italian fascism query [was: How flame wars start]

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 10:03:38 PST 2006

Chris Doss opined:
> No, it did not. See my previous post. There were Jews
> in Mussolini's government. (I read his memoirs a
> couple of months ago.)

I don't know much about Italian history. Did Italian fascism involve anti-Jewish bigotry in a significant way before Mussolini became subordinated to Hitler? <...>

The point of emphasis in "

"(FOR EXAMPLE (emphasis mine), against the Jews)"

Is "(FOR EXAMPLE..."

Anti-semitism is NOT a defining trait of fascism. The "other" is the defining trait that embodies such social illnesses as ant-semitism.

It could be the disabled or Okies... or economists (!) for that matter, inflicted on ones own culture using ones own 'others'.

I say we're there, and have been, for a ... while.

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/