[lbo-talk] What is you know what ?

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Thu Feb 16 10:20:58 PST 2006

>What is fascism ? Will saying the word provoke its coming about ? Is using
>the term "crying wolf ?" Wild eyed radicalism ? Maoism ?
ultra-Revolutionary >irresponsibilism ? Foolish ? Stupid ? Naïve ? Childish ? Unscholarly ?

Charles, you expand the use of the word "fascism" so far across time & space that it loses all its meaning.

Doug

^^^^^ CB; Doug, do you extend its usage to Apartheid South Africa, or would that cause it to lose all its meaning ?

Where exactly across time and space do I expand its usage in my posts to this list ? Give me this expansion so far across time and space that you speak of. Do you mean extending it to the U.S. in any way is "so far" so as to lose meaning. Oh really ?

Seems to me I extend its use to a very small minority of the acts in history , hardly widely across _time_. I apply to no society prior to the late 1800s. So, the whole of written history before 1800 AD , which is about 10,000 years or so, I don't apply it to.

Since the 1800's I have only extended its application from the standard to the U.S. South's Jim Crow, Apartheid South Africa, as whole regimes. Otherwise I'm fine with the wikipedia list. I say there are spot fascistic actions as in McCarthyism, the assassinations of King and the U.S. 15 years of war on Iraq. What meaning of fascism escapes you by that extension ?

I _only_ apply it to countries that are in the imperialist phase of capitalism ( See Dimitrov's definition) or the actions of imperialist nations through colonies. That drastically limits the spread of my application,hopefully preserving its meaning for you.

And then assuming that I extend it widely across time and space, how does that cause it to lose all meaning. Does extending the term "capitalism" to apply to all of neo-liberal globalism cause it to lose all meaning ? No. What is this idea that extending the application of a term causes it to lose all meaning ? I idea is supposed to be extended depending on what happens in fact,no ?