[lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 16 10:58:55 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>It's not the criticism, it's the continued rhetoric about unions
>collectively being corrupt, self-interested institutions.
>
>If they are as bad as you make them out to be, then is the rightwing correct
>in their arguments over many decades that unions made unorganized workers
>lives worse off?

How does your conclusion follow from the critique? The result of corruption and narrow self-interest is exactly what we see: density heading towards 0%, and a public image for union leadership that's worse than that of lawyers. Sure a lot of right-wing rhetoric is partly to blame, but the unions themselves make it all too easy for it to stick.

Doug