[lbo-talk] What is you know what ?

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 14:20:00 PST 2006

On 2/16/06, Charles Brown <cbrown at michiganlegal.org> wrote:
> The issue in dispute is whether I use the word excessively or whether you and others don't use it enough. You are asserting as true without supporting argument your position on what is in dispute.<

Okay, then what kind of evidence or logic would convince you that the United States is not currently on the road to fascism (or already there)?

To convince me that fascism is here, I'd have to see large numbers -- thousands -- of US citizens being treated in the same way that the prisoners in Guantanamo are being treated (incarcerated without legal basis, not charged, tortured). I might be in jail myself. The ACLU wouldn't be allowed to appeal. You wouldn't see members of the leading (vanguard?) party complaining about restrictions on civil liberties.

Carrol says: >repression of _all_ kinds must be resisted<

That's right. I'm against repression even when it's not facist. It doesn't have to be labelled "fascist" to be opposed.

-- Jim Devine / Bust Big Brother Bush! "There are no whole truths; all truths are half-truths. It is trying to treat them as whole truths that plays the devil." -- Alfred North Whitehead