[lbo-talk] What is you know what ?

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 15:11:43 PST 2006

Jim Devine wrote:
> Okay, then what kind of evidence or logic would convince you that the
> United States is not currently on the road to fascism (or already
> there)?
>
> To convince me that fascism is here, I'd have to see large numbers --
> thousands -- of US citizens being treated in the same way that the
> prisoners in Guantanamo are being treated (incarcerated without legal
> basis, not charged, tortured).

The United States incarcerates a larger percentage of it's population than any other country in the world. What kind of evidence would it take to convince you that the legal system maintains order in and about this society where the unaffected and unencumbered never notice the screams of the inmates as they are gangraped or assaulted by prison staff and guards (often private employees wholly unaccountable to overview) at ANY prison in the country where the cells are often the same size as Guantanmo, especially if it's "protective" incarceration like Pelican Bay or Marion Ohio? After a few months, your back is permanently FUBAR and you can barely walk anymore.

That's torture...
> I might be in jail myself. The ACLU
> wouldn't be allowed to appeal.
The appeals in capital cases have been severely limited. By current standards, many of the falsely convicted BPP members like "Geronimo" Pratt would have been dead years ago... Now 'Reclaim the streets", an organization that throws impromptu "Block Parties" has been declared a terrorist org.

Just sit still, they will catch up with the intellectuals eventually.

> You wouldn't see members of the leading
> (vanguard?) party complaining about restrictions on civil liberties.

Vanguard party? You mean the Democrat side of the congressional and senatorial aisle?

Only because the constituents are demanding it, the people that many on this list seem to think are some sort of stereotypical 'redneck bubbas', or your 'vanguard'would remain mute AND quite content with the situation... as most of them did in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq, or COINTELPRO or anything else that "seems like a good idea at the time", the 'vanguard' would have sold out a Looooong time before they were personally threatened, and have, at almost every possible opportunity.

I see the capitulation quite regularly, right here on this list.

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/