[lbo-talk] A Palestinian pastor reflects on Hamas' electoral victory

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 17 07:19:50 PST 2006

http://www.sojo.net/index.cfm?action=news.display_article&mode=C&NewsID=5182

A Palestinian pastor reflects on Hamas' electoral victory

Rev. Mitri Raheb SojoMail 2-01-2006

The overwhelming majority of the Palestinian polls in the pre-election period were deceiving. They forecasted roughly 40% of the votes for Fatah, the ruling party, 40% for Hamas, and roughly 20% combined for the four small independent or leftist parties. With such an outcome, everyone would have been happy. Fatah thought they would still be the leading party, even if they had to enter into a coalition with one or two of the small parties to form the government. Hamas would have been happy to have won so many votes and still remain in the easy chair of the opposition, and the small parties would have felt that they are important, since they are the brokers or breakers of any deal.

The outcome, with Hamas winning an absolute majority, was a shock for all. For Fatah, the shock was that it lost its power and leading role in the Palestinian Authority for the first time since its establishment in 1964. With only 32% of the seats in the Legislative Council, Fatah is now second in line, something to which it is not accustomed. The small parties were shocked as well to discover how small they really are, where the four parties who won had less than 7% of the vote. Hamas itself was stunned, since it did not anticipate such a sweeping victory and was not yet ready to govern.

The Palestinian people were overwhelmed, since although they voted for change they did not think that it would be in this way. The U.S. administration was astounded as well, since they did not expect such democratic results. Israel was also caught by surprise, since its intelligence failed to predict such an outcome. Finally, the Palestinian Christians were distressed as well. They got seven seats in the new Legislative Council, six of which are according to the minimum quota they are entitled to by a presidential decree. All six Christians elected were part of the Fatah party. The only other Christian, Hanan Ashrawi, was elected as the second candidate of the Third Way list, the only one where a Christian had a secured place. For the majority of the Palestinian Christians, as well as a significant number of secular and intellectual Muslims, it is Hamas's social agenda of Islamization that is frightening, with ideas such as dress code and a ban on alcohol.

It will take some time to absorb the far-reaching ramifications of the election. Yet, once this is done we have to analyze what is really happening in our society. A friend said yesterday, "You have been always good in talking about the endless opportunities behind the tremendous challenges. Can you still see this here too?" I replied, "Definitely!"

I am not minimizing the threat and danger behind this green revolution. Neither do I dismiss the possibility of the society's Islamization, a potential clash between Hamas and Fatah, or the likely isolation of Palestine internationally. Yet, one must see the other side of the coin. This is the only time in the Middle East that a one-party rule has ended peacefully by democratic elections. We must accept this as the best way to rotate political power. The people decided that enough is enough with Fatah and its rule. They opted for change. This change has not only to do with the power of Hamas but also with a process that is necessary for our society. In reality, this change means the end of the PLO as we know it, since its parties and structures do not relate anymore to the issues of Palestinian society. A new political landscape has to emerge now. This brings with it endless possibilities. The identity of Fatah after Arafat has to be shaped. The leftist parties in Palestine have to wake up from their sweet dreams and ideologies, to unite, restructure and to develop a new vision. Hamas is now obliged to show their capability of delivering what they were promising, and to learn how to build a government rather than being in the "lazy chair" of the opposition. The people of Palestine have to get used to regularly call their representatives to accountability through this medium of democratic elections.

Finally, what about us Palestinian Christians? My answer is that we are called not to be afraid, neither to panic nor to withdraw from the public sphere. We are called not to feel as if we are just spectators but rather to participate with many in this quest for a new Palestinian identity. We are called to replace old and ineffective structures by engaging in this process of building a new political system that is modern, meaningful, and accountable. In a context of commercializing religion, we are called to provide a new sense of deep spirituality. And in a context of disorientation, our vocation is to offer the vision of a new promise and of dynamic identity. This is not only a challenge, but an honor and a privilege to be able to participate. It is at times like these that we are most needed.

Rev. Mitri Raheb is senior pastor of the Evangelical Lutheran Christmas Church in Bethlehem, Palestine, and general director of The International Center of Bethlehem and Dar al-Kalima Academy.