[lbo-talk] Re: further adventures in political surrealism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 17 07:41:01 PST 2006

Michael Pollak wrote:

>>>The funny thing is, nobody argues with that.
>>
>>BUt in the 2004 National Election Study, voters placed themselves
>>closer to the Reps on econ policy, and to the Dems on social policy.
>
>Yes, but that's voters as a whole. Jenny was asking specifically
>about the the working class. And Bartels analysis, which says the
>working class (defined as the lower third of the income
>distribution) is closer to the Dems on economic policy (and perhaps
>even to the left of it) is entirely based on the NES, no?

Sorry, this is the revised paper (which I got from Bartels - I'm going to have him on the radio again in a few weeks). And it's Tom Frank & Ruy Teixeira's def of the w.c.: "without the civilizing influence of a college degree" as Bartels puts it. His tone in this version is much sharper - it's as if he was annoyed by Tom Frank's response and decided to take it up a notch.

Doug