[lbo-talk] Why people vote

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Feb 17 09:41:14 PST 2006

Interesting - if somewhat abstract - speculation, as always from Wojtek, but it doesn't conform to my observations of voing patterns, or experience with voters from all social classes and backgrounds. I don't think people vote as an end in itself - either as a ritual or to be part of the winning side - although these factors may be present. I think they primarily view voting in very utilitarian fashion as a means to an end: to keep the other guys out and their own kind in office.

Almost without exception, you'll find that the colour pattern of most electoral maps corresponds to the quite distinct political cultures of rural and urban areas. In periods like the present, when there is no mass joblessness and social turmoil, social issues tend to be paramount. Typically, conservatives don't do well in cities because they're associated with "rural" values -religiousity, patriarchy, hunting, individualism, etc. - and liberals don't do well in the countryside beside they're associated with "cosmpolitan" ones, especially those pertaining to the rights of working women, gays, racial and ethnic minorities, trade unions, etc. as well as freedom of artistic and intellectual expression. It's tempting to say that the history of all hitherto existing society is the history of rural-urban suspicion and conflict, except that class alliances have often cut across this traditional divide in periods of social breakdown and unrest.

This has to be the starting point of understanding voting behaviour - whether in the US, in Canada, in Poland, or any other capitalist democracy. Trying to explain political motivation and political outcomes in terms of those who like to participate in rituals or be associated with the winning side or are attracted to the perosnal qualities of individual candidates offers nothing near in the way of explanatory or predictive power. ------------------------------------------- Wojtek wrote: