[lbo-talk] RE: Dov Weisglass on the Palestinians: "We have to make them much thinner, but not enough to die'"

Bryan Atinsky bryan at alt-info.org
Fri Feb 17 10:10:51 PST 2006

> Michael Givel wrote:
>> While economic boycotts and cutting off of aid impact primarily
>> civilians and are a severe human rights abuse, the notion that Hamas
>> will not have significant influence in the next Palestinian government
>> seems very slim. The message is clear for all to see, a large plurality
>> of the Palestinian people voted for a party that is anti-Semitic,
>> anti-gay, anti woman, and theocratic. The question for the left is do we
>> and what is the morality and efficacy of supporting a liberation
>> struggle where one of the main players also has strong fundamentalist
>> and clerical fascist tendencies?

So you are saying that because one of the main Palestinian political players are "anti-Semitic, anti-gay, anti-woman, and theocratic" you think that the Left should rethink their support in total for the Palestinian liberation from Israeli occupation?

That this will lead to some sort of positive outcome?

Interesting...

Would it not be better to argue that the international left and progressive forces have to stand firmly against collective punishment of the Palestinian people and strengthen their support for the secular, left, progressive Palestinian and Israeli forces, while at the same time not being afraid to voice their critiques of the anti-progressive aspects within the Palestinian political power structures?

For instance, on the 20-21st of Feb, there will be an International Conference in Bil'in (one of the key locations for the joint Palestinian/Israeli/International activist movement against the Wall):

--------------- http://alternativenews.dyndns.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=383&Itemid=1&lang=ISO-8859-1

The joint struggle and the nonviolent struggle against the wall and the occupation.

This conference will bring together people who support the popular non violent Palestinian movement to take part in workshops about the history and methods of non violent resistance in Palestine. It will focus on the practical aspects of the struggle by sharing the experiences and lessons of such struggles at different locations in Palestine. The organizers are inviting Palestinians, Israelis and internationals to the conference which will be held on February 20 and 21 at the public school in the village of Bilín.

The meeting will consist of a few opening presentations which will lead into workshops focusing on the the struggles at different locations. The workshops are the main part of the meeting and are where the experiences of activists will be shared and new ideas will be proposed and discussed. The focus of the discussion will be practical and the workshops should lead to a joint action being initiated by the participants in the conference.

To register please email the Bilín popular committee against the wall and the settlements.

bel3en at yahoo.com or call Yuval 054-737-9587 or Muhamad 054-585-1893

More details will follow soon in the conference program.

Sponsoring organizations (partial list)

BIlín popular committee against the wall and the settlements, Gush Shalom, Coalition of women for peace, Anarchists against the wall, Alternative Information center. Rabbis for human rights. Taayush. International women's peace service, International solidarity movement