[lbo-talk] Larry Summers on the academic hiearchy

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Fri Feb 17 13:09:48 PST 2006

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 02/17/06 10:54 AM >>>
[Someone just posted this quote from Harvard president and uber-smart-boy economist Larry Summers to the feminist econ list. It's from a Feb 16 article in the Boston Globe.] "'President Summers asked me, didn't I agree that, in general, economists are smarter than political scientists, and political scientists are smarter than sociologists?' [former Dean] Ellison said. 'To which I laughed nervously and didn't reply.'" <<<<<>>>>>

can't really speak to smartness of above, however, i do think that rise of so-called 'formal' political theory (whether called 'rational choice'/'public choice'/'social choice') drawing upon example of economic theory in building up models based on procedural rules, usually about 'rationally' self-interested behavior of individuals involved has - with a few exceptions - constituted negative turn in poli sci... mh