[lbo-talk] Lee's Garage

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Fri Feb 17 16:45:54 PST 2006

At 7:08 PM -0500 17/2/06, Doug Henwood wrote:

>>> I thought that Wright's formulation that the "new middle
>>>layers" were in a contradictory class location made a lot of sense and
>>>got us away from arguing over meanings.
>>
>>"Wright's formulation", as you express it, doesn't make any sense to me.
>
>That's not a critique, that's a confession of incapacity.

Both actually.

>Maybe you've been out of the labor force for too long.

In fact the unemployed are counted a part of the labour force. But let's not quibble about that, what is the relevance of the remark to my incapacity to decipher the term "contradictory class location".

>Sure, you can keep addressing your remarks to the horny-handed sons
>of toil. But they won't listen to anything you say.

Not on this list, you're correct. I doubt there is anyone here who fits that description? I suppose what you are getting at is that I have to learn to speak the convoluted language of "contradictory class location"? When in Rome, speak as the Romans do, so to speak. Can't do that, wouldn't try. My theory is that even the people who use that sort of language have no idea what they are talking about. While those who profess to understand it are merely trying to avoid the embarrassment of being thought incapable. I'll live with the embarrassment, I'm not trying to impress anyone with my perspicasity.

Bill Bartlett Bracknell Tas