[lbo-talk] RE: Dov Weisglass on the Palestinians: "We have to make them much thinner, but not enough to die'"

Michael Givel mgivel at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 18 05:32:53 PST 2006

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 20:10:51 +0200 From: Bryan Atinsky <bryan at alt-info.org

Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] RE: Dov Weisglass on the Palestinians: "We have to make them much thinner, but not enough to die'"

"So you are saying that because one of the main Palestinian political players are "anti-Semitic, anti-gay, anti-woman, and theocratic" you think that the Left should rethink their support in total for the Palestinian liberation from Israeli occupation?

That this will lead to some sort of positive outcome?

Interesting..."

Nope, I am not suggesting that at all.

I do wonder, however, what kind of a positive outcome will happen if Hamas gets its wish. That is, what would be the positive outcome of a theocratic Islamic state to replace Israel based along the lines of the Hamas charter? Would the rights of Jews and Christians and women and gays in this society then become to say the least, second class? I think so. Fundamentalists and theocrats in Israel and Palestine seem to be dooming any notion of a "secular democratic one state solution" not to mention a two state solution such as an Israeli withdrawal to pre-1967 borders, repatriation for land, separation of religion of state, creation of a Palestinian state and so on.

One thing is for sure, do progressives leftists really want to be in bed with theocratic fascists in the name of the "revolution."? Not I. I will be supporting progressive elements of Palestinian and Israel society with a non-fundamentalist bent to really come to a positive outcome.