[lbo-talk] A New Name for "Estate Tax"?

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Sat Feb 18 17:32:33 PST 2006

The latest and greatest research on the tax is here: http://www.bus.umich.edu/OTPR/workingpaper.htm There is also the book, "Does Atlas Shrug" from the same source. In general there is little evidence of the tax, which has all kinds of flaws, causing family-owned businesses to liquidate, contrary to legend. The whole thing is a canard to begin with, since a business that must liquidate because of the tax is a business that hasn't set enough in preparation for the tax.

Jordan Hayes wrote:

>I'm not sure "most" covers it; there are a large number of people
>whose small business is also the asset they die with. For many,
>that ends the business (or worse: puts their heirs into debt after
>paying the inheritance tax).

"Many"? I thought empirical study of the issue - not, of course, that that matters in politics - has found almost no instances of that sort of thing. I'm sure Max Sawicky could fill us in, if he's listening.