[lbo-talk] A New Name for "Estate Tax"?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 19 14:14:27 PST 2006

Jordan wrote:
> Yoshie was saying that most people die with only their house as an
> asset; I'd also say 'retirement accounts' are up there on the list.

Beyond their home (and vehicle, if they can still drive), the old people have little.

Median net worth in 1998

(in 2000 dollars)

Total Excluding equity

in own home

Married-couple households 65 years and over 164,747 55,176

Male householders 65 years and over 73,848 19,304

Female householders 65 years and over 75,127 10,826

Median net worth in 2000

Total Excluding equity

in own home

Married-couple households 65 years and over 173,950 57,586

Male householders 65 years and over 84,000 15,375

Female householders 65 years and over 76,000 10,475

("Net Worth and Asset Ownership of Households: 1998 and 2000," May 2003, <http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/p70-88.pdf>, p. 16)</ blockquote>

And what little they have, they will have to use for health care and then for end-of-life care. Medicaid planning is more pressing than estate tax planning for the upper-middle income households,

Most Americans die with nothing except their house (if they can keep that) and their pain, which goes undertreated because of the backward attitude toward drugs and addiction (cf. <http://mailman.lbo- talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20060206/031174.html>).

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>