[lbo-talk] not everything is getting worse...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 20 10:05:08 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> [a counter-example for those who think we're on the road to fascism]

As I've made clear, I have no patience with the label fascism for reactionary currents in u.s. politics, but I would still disagree with the subject line.

If "fascism" (or some closely analogous movement) contests for power in the u.s., I suspect it won't be anti-gay. In fact, I suspect a _real_ u.s. fascist movement wouldn't even be overtly racist or sexist. There's just not going to be any close imitation of the inter-war phenomenon known as fascism, though that is no consolation because there are many other ways that civil and political rights can be crushed.

Carrol