[lbo-talk] Sebastião Salgado's "Genesis"

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 21 14:57:06 PST 2006

Mark Bennett wrote:

> I, too, had a memory of the New Yorker from the '70s as being considerably different from the present - less commercial, more genteel. Wrong. The magazine seems to have been essentially the same throughout its history.

The power of the past (mythologized & recreated in memory) is all-powerful unless one consciously and continually resists that power.

One source of this is the damage time inflicts on aste buds, which generates a sharp contrast between the foods of one's youth and the same foods now. I don't think that one should _ever_ trust any spontaneous preference for the past over the present.

Carrol

Exemplum: Current New Yorker cartoonists are grossly inferior to Peter Arndt, James Thurber, Helen Hokinson, etc. :-<