[lbo-talk] 50-year-olds have more fun!

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Feb 22 06:10:28 PST 2006

Doug posted

> <http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1631873,0047.htm>
>
> Men at 50 have better sex lives!
> Asian News International
>
> London, February 21, 2006
<snip>
> The researchers found that most men in their 50s seemed to have
> higher levels of satisfaction than men in their 30s and 40s.
>
> The survey found that while men in their twenties recorded an
> average overall satisfaction level of 2.79, the second highest
> level was among fifty-somethings who recorded an average of 2.77.
> Men in their 30s only reached 2.55 and men in their forties
> averaged 2.72.

If Professor Sophie D Fossa's survey is accurate, her survey results may be due to the fact that a majority of people in their 50s in the rich countries are no longer in the labor force: "The average [employment] rate [of persons between age 55 and 64] in the OECD is currently 48% -- varying from 25% or less in France and Belgium, to 70% in Switzerland" ("Ageing Societies and the Looming Pension Crisis," <http://www.oecd.org/document/ 59/0,2340,en_2649_201185_2512699_1_1_1_1,00.html>). Less work -> better sex. Just ask Michael Yates.

If we leave it up to the ruling class, the 50-year-olds today may become the last generation who enjoy the legacy gains of strong unions and generous welfare states, retire early in good health, and have satisfactory sex lives: "Most countries have considerable manoeuvring room to increase the employment rate of persons between age 55 and 64. . . . The first step governments can take is to eliminate provisions that subsidise early withdrawal from active life -- first and foremost, early retirement schemes" ("Ageing Societies and the Looming Pension Crisis," <http://www.oecd.org/document/ 59/0,2340,en_2649_201185_2512699_1_1_1_1,00.html>)

The labor movement ought to put a renewed emphasis on early retirement with good pensions: "30 Years and Out, and Enjoy Good Sex"

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>