[lbo-talk] Reuters: South Dakota bans abortion "in nearly all cases"

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 23 02:33:52 PST 2006

Wow, the shit is really hitting the fan lately. - B.

======

South Dakota passes abortion ban

Wed Feb 22, 10:06 PM ET

South Dakota became the first U.S. state to pass a law banning abortion in virtually all cases, with the intention of forcing the Supreme Court to reconsider its 1973 decision legalizing the procedure.

The law, which would punish doctors who perform the operation with a five-year prison term and a $5,000 fine, awaits the signature of Republican Gov. Michael Rounds and people on both sides of the issue say he is unlikely to veto it.

"My understanding is we are the first state to truly defy Roe v. Wade," the 1973 high court ruling that granted a constitutional right to abortion, said Kate Looby of Planned Parenthood's South Dakota chapter.

[...]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060223/ts_nm/rights_abortion_dc;_ylt=Apx5Es1Ty.PwxLXFdaJ5NTEDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl