[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 05:25:40 PST 2006

On 2/23/06, Marvin Gandall <marvgandall at videotron.ca> wrote:

> It's easy to sympathize with what others are are so passionately reacting
> against - the use of eminent domain against small businesses and working
> class homeowners on behalf of large realtors and retailers - but there is a
> real danger here, it seems to me, of throwing the baby out with the
> bathwater. You have the same problem as with "regulatory capture" - where
> institutions and laws presumably designed to serve the public interest are
> taken over by powerful private lobbies to advance and legitimize their
> narrower interests.

Could somebody warning against the absolute right of private property vs. eminent domain kindly identify who on the list is advocating that, even implicitly? Could you, say, make a habit of it? Practically every post against the SC ruling has qualified its opposition to using eminent domain to shift from private owners to private owners. It gets kind of tiresome to read suggestions otherwise.

-- Andy