[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 24 12:29:15 PST 2006

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

>What I wanted to say
>was that WSJ, the paper of the property-owning class, obviously came
>strongly against any encroachment of the property right, and they did that
>by selecting examples that evoke US popular icons, familiy owned business,
>churches, etc. vs. megacorps and city hall - bascially the small guy vs. big
>organization imagery that evokes strong emotions here. Doug is generally
>quite keen to catch this kind of bullshit when it comes to argument against
>media ownership, but this evidently slipped past him.

Do you ever read the WSJ? It's so much better than this caricature that I have to think you don't. It runs some of the best stuff about life in the USA of any publication. I wish the left press were 1/10th that good.

And, for the 14th time, I don't give a fuck about small business. I care about running bulldozers over people's houses and neighborhoods to enrich developers. I've spent a fair amount of time following how urban planning works in NYC, and it has nothing to do with the fantasies of high-minded liberals.

Doug