[lbo-talk] eminent domain

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 24 13:06:27 PST 2006

Doug Henwood:

> And, for the 14th time, I don't give a fuck about small
> business. I care about running bulldozers over people's
> houses and neighborhoods to enrich developers.

Then why not argue for "homestead exemption" legislation -- hopefully including renters as well -- that offers especially-stringent protections from too-easily-exercised eminent domain, but which would apply only to people's primary residences? Why instead lean so favorably toward these initiatives that would restrict local power too much? As I've mentioned before, I can think of examples in the city where I live where the power of eminent domain has made a difference in saving jobs. For ideas about its potential, read some of Staughton Lynd's writings on the subject (e.g., on the Tri-State Conference on Steel). There were thorny political limits to these strategies, and they have not always worked. But I want the option to use those strategies, and if there's ever going to be a successful municipal left, it will need these options.