[lbo-talk] Gangbangers vs. Lynching Mobs

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Feb 25 06:03:21 PST 2006

Wojtek wrote:

> http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/cvus0302.pdf that show
> characteristics of the perpetrator and victim type of crime (cf.
> table 42 showing that 77% of black victims of completed violence
> were assaulted by a black perpetrator which is more likely to
> involve gang-related incidents)

The only thing that Table 42 clearly shows is that in all cases (Blacks, whites, and others) offenders are most likely to be of the same race as victims (I doubt that it is a historically new trend). That table doesn't show the proportions of gang-related violence, however. The one that specifically mentions them is "Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race" <http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/ race.htm>. What's interesting in it is that a larger proportion of victims of gang-related homicides are white (57.9%) than Black (38.7%) (the proportion is reversed in the case of drug-related homicides: 37.0% of victims are white and 62.1% are Black).

People mostly don't give a shit about gang violence because a majority of victims of gang violence are gang members themselves (64% in the case of Los Angeles County <http://www.usc.edu/uscnews/stories/ 1376.html>), and gang members don't get any sympathy from the public (including yourself): gang members mostly killing gang members -- why should anyone give a damn?

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>