[lbo-talk] eminent domain

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Sun Feb 26 06:25:36 PST 2006

joanna wrote:
>I do believe that Central Park is one of the most beautiful parks
>I've ever seen....but could you say more about this success?

Actually CP was a real-estate scheme to take land off the market and raise prices. The working class was opposed. Doug <<<<<>>>>>

among other things, park designer frederick law olmstead and landscape architect calvert vaux, who persuaded olmstead to take on the project, used forcible evictions to rid the site of hundreds of squatters..

one joseph weydemeyer, financial contributor to newspaper for which k marx was editor, communist league member, and german '1848er' who fled to u.s., was a surveyor on central park construction... mh

.