[lbo-talk] Neocons on the wane (...and that matters?)

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 16:46:23 PST 2006

Colin Brace wrote:
> On 2/25/06, Leigh Meyers <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> The neocons are far from fucked, Wolfie's at the WB, and John Bolton
>> is our representative at the UN (although not very effectual, see below).
>>

> Mark Danner:
>
> [...] in my view, the era of neocon leadership is clearly coming to an
> end. The impression that they were ever entirely in control is wrong
> in any event and the vanguard of the neocons has obviously been
> blunted by the great failure of Iraq -- because their assumption of
> preponderant American power turned out not to be true.
On the other hand, who said it was only the neocons that were interested in consolidating global power for an 'American empire' at any cost to the other nations of the world.

Civil war is plan B (see below), and that plan is becoming an actuality as US forces lose the ground war in Iraq.

So... <...> Is the bombing of the Golden Mosque the final phase of a much broader strategy to inflame sectarian hatred and provoke civil war?

Clearly, many Sunnis, Iranians, and political analysts seem to believe so. Even the Bush administration’s own documents support the general theory that Iraq should be broken up into three separate pieces. But, is this proof that the impending civil war is the work of foreign provocateurs?

The final confirmation of Washington’s sinister plan was issued by Leslie Gelb, president of the Council on Foreign Relations, in a New York Times editorial on 11-25-03. The CFR is the ideological headquarters for America’s imperial interventions providing the meager rationale that papers-over the massive bloodletting that inevitably follow. Gelb stated:

“For decades, the United States has worshipped at the altar of a unified Iraqi state. Allowing all three communities within that false state to emerge at least as self-governing regions would be both difficult and dangerous. Washington would have to be very hard-headed and hard-hearted, to engineer this breakup. But such a course is manageable, even necessary, because it would allow us to find Iraq’s future in its denied but natural past.” <...> http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article12063.htm

Leigh www.leighm.net http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/