[lbo-talk] Renters Getting Screwed - or Why Eminent Domain is a Distraction

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 27 07:05:34 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>What perplexes me about the debate over eminent domain is that it is such a
>minor issue effecting those who already are rich enough to own property.
>
>Yet orders of magnitude more renters get evicted from their homes as
>redevelopment hits their communities, and there are no flurries of state
>legislation across the country protecting them from eviction.

C'mon, this is absurd. Why is this an either-or thing? Why is ED a "distraction" from the real important stuff? Why can't we think of two, even three things at once? And why is ED so unimportant if, as I spent the weekend showing, it's been central to the planning of New York and other urban areas for decades?

Doug