[lbo-talk] Renters Getting Screwed - or Why Eminent Domain isa Distraction

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 27 08:53:10 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>But the point is one Carroll brought up, the fact that you were mentioning
>ED is because you were following the talking points of the rightwing that
>want to make ED the main topic of public debate.

You know, it's not enough to discredit an idea by saying it's "rightwing." You have to engage the idea on its merits. Sometimes the right even has a point. In this case, there are real issues of class power that the right is tapping into and elite liberals are ceding to them. For a lot of people with any kind of political memory, urban renewal is responsible for many crimes, and its authors were elite liberals. It seems that elite liberals have learned nothing from this.

Were I to wax Fitchian, I might point out that liberal think tanks and Democratic candidates get a lot of their money from real estate developers. It makes for a lot of smelly alliances.

Doug