[lbo-talk] Capitalism's new markets

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Feb 27 12:12:25 PST 2006

True, although my understanding is that, while Hamburg is the busiest port in Europe, a lot of the components and finished products for export increasingly come from German subsidiaries in Poland and elsewhere in Eastern Europe and as far away as China and Mexico. I've also read where the reluctance of German consumers to spend results from economic insecurity about outsourcing as well as benefit cuts - unemployment is running at or near double digits - and German capitalists have successfully played on these fears to restrain wage demands by their unions.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 11:27 AM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Capitalism's new markets