[lbo-talk] RE: Gladwell

Gary Mongiovi MONGIOVG at stjohns.edu
Mon Feb 27 12:37:12 PST 2006

I thought Gladwell's New Yorker article on detecting emotional states and intentions from subtleties in facial expressions was very good. I was looking forward to enjoying The Tipping Point but found it lame in the extreme--and badly written. I had the impression that Gladwell's editors at the New Yorker, one of the few remaining bastions of people who know how to convey a point in clear prose, must have punched up his writing pretty thoroughly. I gave Blink a pass: couldn't decide if the basic idea was banal or just stupid.

Regards,

Gary