[lbo-talk] the conservative mind

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Mon Feb 27 19:11:35 PST 2006

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 02/26/06 1:26 PM >>>
New York Times Book Review - February 26, 2006 The Conservative Imagination THE MAKING OF THE AMERICAN CONSERVATIVE MIND National Review and Its Times. By Jeffrey Hart. Illustrated. 394 pp. ISI Books. $28. Kirk, with his Wordsworthian worry that getting and spending we lay waste our powers, represented an impulse that sometimes threatens to turn conservatism into an aesthetic pose. This impulse made National Review vulnerable to what can be called the Southern temptation, the idealization of an imagined cavalier culture immune to secularism and materialism. <<<<<>>>>>

re. above, kirk was under richard weaver's spell... mh