[lbo-talk] Delphi workers OK potential strike

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 22:38:06 PST 2006

February 24, 2006

Delphi workers OK potential strike

Tracy Kershaw-Staley DBJ Staff Reporter

IUE-CWA Local 755, which represents 1,050 hourly workers at the Kettering plant, voted unanimously Thursday night, said Keith Bailey, union chairman.

Bailey said this is the first time the voices of the workers have been heard. Delphi has about 5,700 workers in Dayton at five plants.

"Their statement was: if you reduce my wages by 60 percent, take my health care, take our pensions ... we'll strike your plant," Bailey said.

Bailey said it also sends a message to other labor unions that the plant is willing to fight. IUE-CWA is Delphi's second largest union.

Delphi filed for bankruptcy Oct. 8. The Troy, Mich.-based auto parts manufacturer is in the middle of talks with its former part and largest customer, General Motors Corp., and its major unions. The company has said if it cannot reach an agreement with GM and its unions by March 30, it will ask a judge to cancel its labor contracts. The union cannot strike under current labor agreements.

Bailey said the workers want to stand up for themselves.

"They are ready to fight. There's not doubt about it," Bailey said. "Because they really believe the company has blown a lot of opportunities to be competitive."

http://dayton.bizjournals.com/dayton/stories/2006/02/20/daily22.html