[lbo-talk] Curbing Eminent Domain Abuse in "Blue States": Illinois

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 28 04:33:01 PST 2006

Yoshie wrote:

> Curbing the abuse of eminent domain isn't necessarily a right-wing
> effort, and it has been undertaken in both Democratic and Republican
> strongholds -- see the list below:

[...]

-------------------------------------------- Thanks, good information. Actually, despite my initial skepticism, I haven't as yet seen any legislative initiatives cited in this discussion which could be described as "right wing" in the sense that they would prohibit or place new restrictions on eminent domain for public use. The South Dakota law is where you would have logically expected to find a hidden time bomb. Maybe someone will. I suppose the countervailing factors, so far as the right is concerned, is that a) they understand the state needs to have the expropriation power to lay down public infrastructure on which the private sector depends, and b) public opinion seems to running strongly in favour of curbing the practice where it is transparently a land grab on behalf of private developers. The latter is a mainstream sentiment that "community organizers" have generally found to be relatively easy to tap into.