[lbo-talk] the conservative mind

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 07:12:16 PST 2006

> New York Times Book Review - February 26, 2006
>
> The Conservative Imagination

> IMPOSTOR
> How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy.
> By Bruce Bartlett.
> 310 pp. Doubleday. $26.
>
> Review by GEORGE F. WILL

> What, Bruce Bartlett asks, with his answer indicated by his
> indignation, is conservative about George W. Bush? Noting that Bush
> has said, "We have a responsibility that when somebody hurts,
> government has got to move," Bartlett exclaims: "A more succinct
> description of liberalism would be hard to find."

The author was interviewed on NPR, which I occaisionally dip into to remind myself why I don't more often. Like eating at McDonald's. "Betraying the Reagan Legacy" was the theme of the hour, with complaints about campaigning on "compassionate conservatism", tax cuts leading to booming deficits, and even (!) subsidies and tariffs in favor of domestic industry -- the latter two being policies that Reagan of course never dreamed of.

So the marketing approach, all branding and completely decoupled from facts, has gone beyond talking heads and election campaigns to intellectual battles. A sort of never-ending war of froth vs. froth....

-- Andy