[lbo-talk] Renters Getting Screwed - or WhyEminentDomainisaDistraction

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 28 08:26:58 PST 2006

Wojtek wrote:

> My problem with the discussion of this issue on this list is that with the
> exception of Nathan, Marvin, and myself - there is little attempt to frame
> this issue in terms of material cost and benefits produced by development,
> and in terms of a broader public benefit, and a larger vision for society
> as
> a whole.

You must have missed my last post, Woj. I've gone over to the other side, in the absence of hard evidence showing how the right is actually exploiting this issue. :)

As to your legitimate concerns about development, why can't Walmart, for example, directly negotiate price with the home- and business- owners whose properties it seeks? It might be more cumbersome and costly and uncertain, but why can't the big realtors and retailers, who can afford it, not shoulder the same burdens as any prospective buyer? Having business-friendly local authorities effectively decide the level of compensation on behalf of private developers through the exercise of eminent domain is not, IMO, consistent with either the goals of the left or of the community. I'm persuaded that our concerns ought to be two-fold: a) restrict the expropriation power to public use, and b) make private interests negotiate directly with the community, without using the state as an intermediary, as they do at present.