[lbo-talk] Joseph Weydemeyer; Engels supplied the North cannon through Weydemeyer

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Tue Feb 28 09:56:48 PST 2006

>>> cbrown at michiganlegal.org 02/28/06 11:47 AM >>>

Michael Hoover: not sure how much any of this really matters,

CB: Might not matter too much. I tend to use Engels and Marx's vigorous support of war to end slavery to demonstrate that Marxism is fundamentally anti-racist.

CB: Some of the credible evidence was sent to the list already. Marx wrote a letter to Lincoln. I copied it here. Lincoln was the Commander-in-Chief. That's _credible_, nay substantial credible evidence - enough evidence that I'd even say the burden of proof sort of shifts to you to disprove. Then there's Wedemeyer, a likely conduit. I'll dig up his biography. Then there is the article on the strategy of cutting the South in half instead of surrounding it. That article itself is some evidence of communication with the Union command. It was not likely just Marx and Engels just wrote that as academic , detached commentary. It was printed in an American newspaper. Surely, they and Wedemeyer made efforts to get it to the Union command. Evidently there was debate between strategies within the Union command. That article might help persuade the decisionmakers. Since the Union ended up doing what was in the article...

That's a lot of credible evidence you have to overcome.

CB: That these articles are in a U.S. newspaper is further evidence that Union command probably got them. It is not likely that Lincoln and cabinet had as sophisticated economic-geographic-political-analysis of the situation as what Engels and Marx wrote. Hard to believe that White House didn't read those newspaper articles. <<<<>>>>

well, both of seem to question significance of all this, so maybe we should agree to disagree about specifics...

you call the international's congratulations to lincoln a letter that marx wrote to lincoln, i've already indicated that i view said correspondence differently and why (message certainly had fraternal intent, but that in and of itself calls no attention to marx)...

nothing i've posted has suggested that i think m&e wrote detached academic commentary, they thought both newspapers articles and private correspondence were political interventions...

article mentioned above was *not* printed in american newspaper, but in vienna paper (3/27/1862)...

as for weydemeyer, i'll just say that i've never seen anything to indicate that he was likely 'conduit', in fact, he was posted to missouri ozarks during civil war so one might question how much contact he had with anyone...

as to whether union command got' several civil war articles that marx wrote for ny daily tribune before it dropped him or that white house 'read' these articles, neither of us apparently knows... mh

Please Note: Due to Florida's very broad public records law, most written communications to or from College employees regarding College business are public records, available to the public and media upon request. Therefore, this e-mail communication may be subject to public disclosure.