[lbo-talk] CFR on civil war in Iraq

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Tue Feb 28 13:28:04 PST 2006

What Doug correctly describes as Leigh Meyers' "delusional" view that the US is deliberately fomenting civil war in Iraq rests on a single op-ed piece in the New York Times in November, 2003, by the former Times journalist Leslie Gelb entitled "The Three State Solution". However, last August, Gelb had reversed himself and said this:

"We obviously would prefer an Iraq sufficiently united to thwart neighbors that might like to rip off pieces of it or keep the country in turmoil. That is a good reason to keep the country united, but not necessarily ruled from Baghdad. Baghdad's power should be limited to the critical issues of border defense, foreign policy, and sharing of oil revenue. These centralized powers should be sufficient to keep mischievous neighbors at bay." (See: http://online.wsj.com/article_print/SB112294796617502263.html)

That's consistent with the program of a federal Iraq being promoted by the Bush administration.

The "mischievous neighbors" Gelb is referring to is primarily Iran, which would exercise an inordinate influence in an independent Shia republic in the south. And a civil war which would likely spill over into other parts of the Middle East and threaten the oil supply is the last thing the US wants.

I doubt Gelb or any other US agent is in Baghdad running "black ops" pitting teams of Sunni and Shia suicide bombers and death squads against each other in order to spark civil war. I'll need more than "part of an editorial" in an old copy of the NYT by a bit player to convince me otherwise. ====================================================== ----- Original Message ----- From: "Leigh Meyers" <leighcmeyers at gmail.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 3:48 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] CFR on civil war in Iraq