[lbo-talk] Happy Bad Year!

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Sun Jan 1 13:41:24 PST 2006

On Jan 1, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> --- Marta Russell <ap888 at lafn.org> wrote:
>

>> In 1994 there wasn't touchscreen voting. Now you've
>> got the Mark
>> Crispin Miller's book "Fooled Again" factor - Miller
>> is adamant that
>> the Diebold and other electronic voting machines are
>> corrupted.
>>

> Marta, in the great scheme of life this is a
> relatively minor factor that may help swaying a close
> call here or there, but does not alter the big
> picture. Gerrymandering mentioned by Micheal is a
> significantly bigger problem, because it
> institutionalizes such swaying of close calls, but
> again does not alter the pig picture.

Gerrymandering is a problem but look at what Californians did to Schwartenegger's effort to follow Tom DeLay's tricks in Texas. Arnold was voted down flat. That is hopeful.

The error rate on the Diebold machine tested in CA by the Secretary of State was 10% I believe. I would think that would be a factor in most elections. Marta