[lbo-talk] A Note on Human Nature

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Jan 2 11:18:10 PST 2006

January 1, 2006 Why I'm Happy I Evolved By OLIVIA JUDSON

"No other animal that I have heard of can live so peaceably in such close quarters with so many individuals that are unrelated. No other animal routinely bothers to help the sick and the dying, or tries to save those hurt in an earthquake or flood." From "Why I'm Happy I Evolved" By OLIVIA JUDSON January 1, 2006. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/01/opinion/01judson.html

It is interesting that these sentences apply to 99% or so of the human species 99% or so of the time, including gangbangers, Bush voters, and West Point cadets -- they even apply to intellectuals who defend the death penalty in the U.S.

Carrol