Third World maternal morbidity & mortality [Was: Re: [lbo-talk] Re: Liza & Doug have a kid]

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Mon Jan 2 18:07:12 PST 2006

:) good post. I always miss you!

At 08:39 PM 1/2/2006, KJ wrote:

>special protein- and fat-rich foods in the case of the Chinese,
>combined with a taboo on all sorts of greens and roughage (as
>'cooling' foods, hence 'bad' for mother and for milk production, since
>she was, in my crude understanding, suppose to recover the 'heat' lost
>in the process of childbirth).

we have a similar one in the US: you're supposed to avoid broccoli, cauliflower, and other foods that might cause gas. The claim is that you'll pass it along to the infant and it will affect milk production -- and cause the infant to be colicky (crying all the time as if it's in pain with... gas! :)

I can't remember the status of that one. I used to be part of a volunteer group (NOT LaLeche!) that helped women learn more about breast feeding, breast feeding while working, expressing and storing milk, etc. It was a pilot program that was a model for the development of others like it across the country. I can't remember the status of the "avoid cabbages and greens that might cause gas" advice. I vaguely recall that scientific research indicated it was rubbish, that such thinking failed to understand how milk was produced in the first place. etc. That is, it's not as if the gaseous properties of broccoli will be delivered directly to your milk. However, I can't recall exactly what the deal was.

At any rate, if it's true that science has discredited that one, I'll bet you, uh, the Lagavullen Max owes me, that 60% of parents (especially women) take it seriously. :)

We owe the pioneers in the tradition out of which Grace works. They forged a whole different way to give birth in this country which was, when I heard it sitting at my mother's and her friend's feet as a very little girl, horrifying to me. By the time my mother had my little sister, feminist grass roots movements had been building enough momentum to change things drastically.

The wasband, who wan't allowed into the delivery room to see his children born (same with my very good friend and former prof) were allowed to be in the room with their second marriages. Every older man I've ever known has remarked on the experience, the sharp contrast, and how important it was to them and how much more they wanted to be part of infant care after that.

Of course, this insight didn't change much with the wasband. He recently told his son to fuck off when it comes to college. In spite of a divorce contract that states otherwise, he's forcing us to fight him to help pay for his kid's college education.

So, watching your kid being born only changes a little. A lot more is needed, eh?

Bitch | Lab http://blog.pulpculture.org