[lbo-talk] Syriana: Take Bob Out!

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Jan 4 05:19:16 PST 2006

I did a number on this on my site, for any interested. I think Yoshie has the film pinned down as film. CIA Bob's conversion struck me as totally unconvincing, hardly motivated at all. As "Andie" noted, the explicit citation of Mossadegh as a development model in the film is interesting and shows somebody - maybe Clooney - is reading. Though confusion persists, since the Matt Damon character who invokes Mossadegh embodies some kind of mythically clean free enterprise position. mbs

Still and all, the film is worth seeing. Mazhar Munir, who plays Wasim, and Jeffrey Wright, who plays Bennett Holiday, are outstanding. Chris Cooper as Jimmy Pope is solid. Alexander Siddig in the role of Nasir is quite charming also.

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>