[lbo-talk] Unionization

Bitch | Lab info at pulpculture.org
Wed Jan 4 19:07:42 PST 2006

precisely, those people have occupations that are defined as requiring educations and/or possessing power over their clientele. they are seen as superior to their clientele, for the most part. (as opposed to customers). IOW, the issue for siding with management is the power difference as its perceived by workers in low-level service occupations. no one's saying that this is the _only_ place to look for dynamics -- hence, I cited Dorothy Sue Cobble's work -- it is part of the puzzle. After all, they have such a thing as regression analysis in quantitative analysis.

if you identify with management and perceive them as protecting you against the people that you feel make your life miserable on a daily basis, then you can see that, on some level, that undermines thinking in terms of class struggle against management. it's especially hard to see when you see that many of your "managers" are people who, 9 months prior, were flipping burgers and folding shirts and restocking shelves.