[lbo-talk] Cookies (No Milk) Department...

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Jan 6 09:40:05 PST 2006

Way back in the '60s we (or many of us) constantly reminded each other that the telephone was not (repeat NOT) a private utility. And 90 years ago the Czarist secret police sneaked an agent into the upper ranks of the Bolsheviks. But Lenin remarked in Left-wing Communism that said spy had done good public work for the party and had probably recruited more new comrades than he had betrayed, for a net gain. (I haven't bothered to check the details of this but I think I'm roughly accurate.) Various kinds of electronic espionage, including cookies, don't really change things that much. We simply need to conduct our activity in a way that can't be too much damaged by this sort of thing.

For even if a given form of espionage (legal or illegal) is exposed and gotten rid of, it will be replaced quickly by another form. So while it's o.k. to complain and make a fuss, it really isn't worth getting too upset about.

Carrol