[lbo-talk] Leninist/Maoist Finance?

boddi satva lbo.boddi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:10:03 PST 2006

On 1/6/06, Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- boddi satva <lbo.boddi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, and then you can explain to us why China is
> chucking almost its
> entire state industry into the bin, as Russia did.
>
> ---
>
> Dammit, I am sick of hearing this. Russia did NOT
> chuck its state industry. Russia's economy is ALMOST
> HALF STATE-OWNED. Gazprom is STATE-RUN. Russia
> recently RENATIONALIZED its LARGEST OIL COMPANY.

So why wasn't the Soviet Union a huge gas and oil exporter? How did the decision to become a great petro-power happen after and not before the planned economy phase?

Russia has a national oil company. So what? So do most petro-exporting nations. Is Saudi Arabia Leninist?

Cars? Steel? Consumer goods? How much of what you buy is produced in Russian state industry?