[lbo-talk] West Virginia Miners

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Jan 7 13:23:12 PST 2006

> --- "W. Kiernan" <wkiernan at ij.net> wrote:
>
> > Leigh Meyers wrote:
> > >
> > > What to say?
> > > That America is a voyeur at some other prole's
> > wake?
>
> I just did a look around the web at the various US leftists
> websites. Only one (that I know of) has any mention of this story
> on their website. To their credit, the SWP features it on their
> homepage.
>
> I find this absence rather peculiar. Guess most US leftists have
> disdain for the hicketeriat.
>
> Thomas

Now that you mention it, I also looked around and found these (only a few more than you found):

<http://wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/mine-j03.shtml> <http://wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/sago-j04.shtml> <http://www.wsws.org/articles/2006/jan2006/corr-j07.shtml>

<http://www.counterpunch.org/ely01072006.html> <http://www.counterpunch.org/tristam01052006.html>

<http://www.pww.org/article/articleview/8325/1/302/>

<http://www.dissidentvoice.org/Jan06/Random07.htm>

<http://www.themilitant.com/2006/7002/700201.html> <http://www.themilitant.com/2006/7002/700220.html>

Indeed, there haven't been many articles on this tragedy yet, but the main reason we don't see more than these, I think, is not so much lack of leftist concern for miners as the fact that there aren't many daily publications on the left, except CounterPunch, Dissident Voice, MRZine, and WSWS.

> --- John Mage <jmage at panix.com> wrote:
>

> > We have an excellent piece up on MRzine, with
> > massive value-added
> > hyperlink editing by Yoshie:
> >
> > <http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/pollack060106.html>
> >

> Indeed a very good piece...the best I have read on
> this. Thank you!
>
> Thomas

Thanks for your kind words!

Yoshie Furuhashi <http://montages.blogspot.com> <http://monthlyreview.org> <http://mrzine.org>