[lbo-talk] Nobel Prize in Economics Gary Becker advocating free market trading of transplant organs

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Jan 8 11:43:32 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Question on my mind for obvious reasons: why not children? By Becker
> logic shouldn't there be a market in kids? Does anyone know Becker
> well enough to ask?

Gut reaction: because this would violate the uber principle that children are the responsibility of the parents until the state (not the market) dictates otherwise. If there were a market in kids, it would make the kids the private property of the parents, which, by law, they're not.

However, this does raise the issue of whether parents have the rights to sell their kids' organs while the kids are still alive.

Joanna