[lbo-talk] Dangerous Work Done Dirt Cheap

Leigh Meyers leighcmeyers at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 18:14:41 PST 2006

Carrol Cox wrote:
> Leigh Meyers wrote:
>>
>> ( or 'need', another interesting
>> word, as 'want' seems to have insinuated itself in it's definition)
>> in any dictionary.
>
> Let's keep our linguistic history accurate. Until recently that was
> the
> _main_ meaning of want. To want was to lack. The meaning of desire
> insinuated itself later. Cf. the opening sentence of Pride &
> Prejudice.

I like this definition, does that mean I'm 'arrogating to myself the privilege (power?) to dictate to others what they should do or think?'

I don't think so...

Need:

"the psychological feature that arouses an organism to action toward

a desired goal; the reason for the action; that which gives purpose and direction to behavior" --princeton.edu

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&safe=on&q=define%3Aneed

Leigh www.leighm.net Have you seen my newsfeeds?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com Got RSS?: http://leighmdotnet.blogspot.com/atom.xml