[lbo-talk] Taliban destroy coed school

Travis Fast tfast at yorku.ca
Mon Jan 9 07:01:58 PST 2006

I am sure, but my response was tongue-in-cheek. The point is that there are many reasons one may support a group even if one does not like its politics or even detests those politics. I suspect any lefty that does support the afgan "resistance" does so because they feel it is more important that US foreign policy fail then coeducation succeed in Afghanistan. Not a particularly nice trade-off but it is symptomatic of a type of calculation that gets made in an imperfect world. Similar such calculations are being made about Iraq as well I suspect. Now I am sure there are some whaky groups who really believe that any force aligned against the US is necessarily good but that just speaks to simplistic sense of politics which is not cornered by the left, centre or right.

Travis