[lbo-talk] Half a Cheer for Moralism?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Jan 9 13:37:58 PST 2006

Yoshie:

> On the other hand, the tendency to pass judgment on the behavior of
> others, puritanism, a rigid code, etc. sometimes can work to the
> benefit of people:

Even a stopped clock shows the right time twice a day. The problem is not phrasing arguments in ethical terms that appeal to general population, but not having anything to offer other than guilt trips and blame game aka "moralizing." I will not exaggerate much by saying that after many years on this very active list I have not heard anything that sounds like a political program that can be undetsood by, let alone appeal to the so-called "middle class." Plenty of good critique of the staus quo, some good literary criticism, some venting, some clowning, a good deal of moralizing, guilt tripping and excuse manufacturing, good book tips - but not having any alternatives to the status quo.

Wojtek